“Life is a game. The only say we have in the matter is if we will be a player, or a pawn.”Benét Stoen
One plot for revenge.
Welcome to the Kingdom of Lavdia.
In a village all but forgotten by the country’s rulers, Finn leads two lives. One of a simple country doctor, and the other of a smuggler with cargo of a rare variety: Wielders, a nearly extinct race of people born with the ability to control Magic. With their rights being threatened by the very people in power meant to protect them, the Wielders see Finn as their last chance for a better life. But when Finn is abducted and blackmailed into the service of a vengeful royal, his loyalty, and his heart, will be put to the ultimate test.
On a throne miles away, Andromeda, selected at birth to inherit the role of Mother Queen and continue her family’s royal line, has waited years for her chance to exact revenge on those who stole her freedom and tore her family apart. But she can’t do it alone. With the help of a handsome and intriguing young doctor, she will right the wrongs committed against her, and forge a path of a most gloriously scarlet retribution.
With the fate of their kingdom hanging in the balance, these two unlikely allies must navigate an intricate web of political rivalries and long-buried secrets in order to achieve their goals. But as hidden plots unfold and the true rot at the heart of the country is revealed, what starts as a quest for justice spirals into a desperate game of survival.
This first installment of an epic new trilogy from the author that brought you “His and Mine” will leave you breathless and haunted long after the final page is turned.
This book drew me in from the synopsis alone. I simply knew I would like this book. It’s my kind of story. It starts really well, with our doctor breaking the law in order to help those in need and after that, it’s full of intrigues and dark places. The third queen is a very complicated woman but with her reasons to be so. It’s an easy read. I can say I read the book in two days. And now, Benét Stoen, tell me: HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE SECOND BOOK?! Because that ending killed me!!!
WHAT I LIKED:
– Finn is a wonderful person. The kind of person you want to keep around. He does everything in his power to help others, even after they do him wrong.
– Although I disliked Andromeda in the beginning, I was really connected with her by the end. She’s an intriguing character, with a huge dark past.
– I loved Angelus! Although he’s a side character and we don’t know much about him, I think he’s wonderful and mysterious. I really hope to see more of him…and of course Veronica.
– The plot was really good and the ending absolutely killed me. I can’t deal with that ending and I need the second book immediately!
WHAT I DIDN’T LIKE:
– I think the world building needed more development but, who knows, maybe we’ll see more of it in the second book.
– The first half of the book is really slow-paced, not much going on. It was easy to read though. Benét’s writing is really good in my opinion.
I had a feeling I would like it, but not that I would like it this much! If you’re into dark fantasy you must absolutely read this book!
|THIS BOOK STALKER CONFESSES:|
* I want to thank Benét Stoen for giving me a free eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.